Since completing my initial 40-day Daniel Plan journey, I’ve let a few Daniel-unapproved foods slip back in to my diet. And the impact it’s having on my body and my resolve just isn’t worth it.
Over a rich Mother’s Day meal of Mom’s luscious pot roast and potatoes, southern-style green beans, and real biscuits with real butter, I engaged my family in discussion on my poor food choices of late. (Leave it to me to make everyone feel awkward during a splurge meal…)
As I described being taken hostage by some intensely delicious white chocolate macadamia nut cookies at a prayer retreat over the weekend, I explained how I have learned that to be faithful during my journey, there are a few foods I just can’t touch — one of them being white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.
If I have one bite — heck, if I SMELL them — I’ll not be able to turn down another, and another, and another — until I put myself into a downward spiral of shame including a nasty stomachache and a crippling sugar hangover. I’ve always thought myself rather disciplined. Sadly, I am not.
During this exchange, my daughter, Bella turned to me in in horror, asking why I couldn’t have any cookies. My response: “Because, honey — they’re a ‘trigger food’ for Mommy.”
My entire family burst into hysterics over my lofty attempt and epic failure to explain it all to my sweet little four-year-old.
Truth is, I’ve been leaning into the 80/20 aspect of the Daniel Plan a little too much. Eating well 80 percent of the time, and letting it go the other 20 percent of the time doesn’t cut it. The headaches, exhaustion, gastrointestinal distress and uncontrollable cravings that result from that 20 percent have demonstrated just how quickly I can fall back into my old ways.
After all, isn’t this what I worked so hard to let go of?!
So I started a new journey today. With the help and support of my health and fitness coach, Missy Gleason, I’m starting a new challenge through the end of the month. I’m once again embracing the Daniel Plan Detox (with a few small modifications based on my tolerances) and taking a bold step toward preserving my health for the long term. I’m also replacing one meal a day with plant-based Shakeology, eating nothing but good, God-given food, and working out no less than 30 minutes every day from now until May 31.
Don’t worry – I promise not to clog your feeds with daily posts on this new round. I just think important to detox again now and then — to take things back to the way they were meant to be and embrace the natural. I can’t think of a better way to go.